- Model: JAPY P68
- Made in France by Société de Mécanographie Japy at its Beaucourt factory
- Based on the serial number (159977 F) it was manufactured in 1953
- Materials: metal, steel, plastic
- Color: Grey, Silver, Black
- Dimensions: 30 cm (length) x 27,5 cm (width) x 9 cm (height)
- Weight: 4,6 Kg
- French AZERTY keyboard
- Its travel case is missing
- The ribbon needs changing (the machine is compatible with universal ribbons)
- All of the typewriter's keys work and the machine seems to function as it should
- It probably does need some cleaning and lubrication
- This item is in a good vintage condition / It has marks of age and use
The Japy company was founded in 1771 by George Frédéric Japy (1749-1812), a pioneer in the industrial production of watches. Frédéric Japy was educated in Beaucourt and Montbéliard and from 1768 learned watchmaking in Le Locle, now a part of Switzerland. The main street of Beaucourt now bears his name and a museum, which includes Japy typewriters, is dedicated to him. Musée Municipal Japy, is at 16 Rue Frédéric Japy. Before he died, Japy had handed over the running of his company to his sons, and it became known as Établissements Japy Frères, S.A..
In 1910, as part of a broad diversification, Japy Frères started making typewriters. It bought the entire assets of the Remington-Sholes Typewriter Co, which had gone bankrupt in 1909. The Japys ran their company for a long time as a pure family company without any borrowed capital. The product range was constantly expanded, and as a result Japy went on to dominate various national and international markets: Mechanical watches, screws, metal parts, frying pans, military helmets, pumps, typewriters and much more.
In 1954 the typewriter branch of Japy Frères become the Société de Mécanographie Japy. From 1949 to 1959 Japy made a second Patria design, one which came from Max Bill (1908–1994), the famous Swiss architect, artist, painter, typeface designer, industrial designer and graphic designer. This was called the P68 or Japy Personnel.
Rest of the world 68.00€
If you have any questions regarding this item, please do not hesitate to contact us